8/14/2008

A Neat Trick


Wheat Free/ Gluten Free Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches


Joshua is not too fond of Wheat Free/Gluten Free Bread...at least not the ones we have tried so far. (And I can't say that I blame him, I didn't care for them either). But out of desperation I came up with a great trick. I use gluten free pancakes to make him peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

When I make pancakes, I always double the recipe and freeze the leftovers. When I need to make a sandwich (like today, because we are meeting friends at the park for a picnic), I just grab 2 pancakes and use them for bread.

I use Pamela's Wheat-Free & Gluten Free Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix for my pancakes. I have tried many recipes for making them from scratch, but the wheat free flours are expensive and there is no guarantee that he will like or eat them. Trust me - I have bags of flours I will never touch again in my pantry because of this experiment! Anyhow, I finally settled on Pamela's mix and even my wheat-eating 4 year old will eat these pancakes. They are easy to make (just add water and egg) and they are moist and tasty. The mix does contain almond meal, so there are little brown flakes in it, but my kids don't seem to mind.


So that's is...
2 Pancakes + Peanut Butter + Jelly =
One Happy 3 year old boy!

No comments: