3/15/2010

The Cake Fiasco...

So...in my last post I was headed off to make a Betty Crocker cake for my daughter's birthday. As I was adding ingredients to the cake mix I sadly opened an egg that was all red inside - you know, what you picture when you think of Salmonella? Ewwww, yuck. I now understand why they tell you to crack your eggs into a separate bowl first. I had to throw everything away. And since we live 30 miles from the nearest grocery store that is open on a Sunday...I was outta luck. No cake mix and no eggs. Bummer.
So...I did what any desperate mom would do - I became resourceful. I pulled out my old recipe for Wacky cake. Wacky cake is a recipe from the depression era that has no milk, eggs, or butter in it. I have used this recipe in the past for GF cakes so I knew it could be done. All Purpose GF flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, oil, water, vinegar, and vanilla. Easy enough.
The cake turned out ok. The flavor was good and it looked good...just a little off on the texture. It was chewy. Not my favorite. But the birthday girl was happy enough and it looked pretty....right? Next time, I will make sure I have EXTRA Betty Crocker cake mix on hand :-)

No comments: